Divorcing an abusive partner

Peak Living Network Forums Women Divorcing an abusive partner

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #2252
    Carrie
    Participant

    I have started the legal process of divorce from my abusive husband. I currently have a restraining order from the court which is up on Friday 31st January. I had hoped that the legal process would have been resolved by now but he is delaying everything he possibly can from his side. He will not sign the papers to give me right of residence to the family home until all the legal stuff is sorted.
    I was able to get a court hearing for Thursday 30th January to apply for an extension to the restraining order. He will be in attendance for the court hearing.
    I am very nervous about the court hearing as I have not seen him since the court hearing last year for the first restraining order. He had pushed hard several times and left me bleeding and unconscious.
    I am hoping that I can get another restraining order. I am terrified that he will show up at the house on Friday and want to move back in.

    I am trying to recover from the trauma of the physical assault and from the years of emotional and psychological abuse. It is difficult to pinpoint when it started but we were married for 30 years. The physical abuse only started recently but escalated very quickly.
    He is blaming depression and alcohol addiction.

    I had hoped that he would want to get the divorce completed quickly so that he can get his share of the house as he is currently in a rental. But I now think that he does not want to let me go. I am afraid that he is still trying to control me by delaying the divorce process and not being agreeable at all. Each time I move forward in my recovery and let go of him in my head, feels like such progress and I know that I will eventually get there. But now going back to court this week, he is back in my head and I am having nightmares again and panic attacks.

    I did not press criminal charges for the assault. I reported it but have not yet made a full and signed statement. This is my last resort. It is a difficult decision.

    Any advice or support would be appreciated.

    • This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Carrie.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.